Project sponsor is critical to strategic planning, high project sustainability, and successful implementation of project objectives. The role of project sponsor covers the financial and organizational responsibilities and activities that are directed to effective governance of the project.
#1. Executive Sponsor
This stakeholder is the highest-level project management executive who is sponsoring the entire project initiative (direct funding) in the organization that is implementing the project.
- Provides sponsorship and financial support
- Establishes a project funding model and approves sources of financing
- Governs change management and escalation processes.
#2. Technical Advisor
This role involves the highest-level technical consulting and leadership to establish and support the technical infrastructure of the project in the performing organization. Technical Advisor makes strategic decisions regarding using, acquiring, and phasing out technology throughout the project life-cycle.
- Establishes a technology stack for the project
- Plans and evolves system capacity and architecture requirements
- Provide technical guidance and leadership
- Promotes and governs technology use and reuse.